POST APPROVED: 4 credits (10596-0010)
Foundational Training for Police Officers - From Arrest to Charging and Sentencing
Part One -Writing the Perfect Report: Often overlooked, report writing is one of the most important duties for law enforcement. It provides a vital record that the officer and prosecutor rely on for criminal charging, convictions and sentencing proceedings. Learn how to write a report that is detailed, descriptive and thorough. Find out the common mistakes that lead to legal issues in the courtroom. A good report on the street likely leads to a conviction in court.
Part Two – In Court Testimony: Testifying in court can be overwhelming. With all of the attention on you, it is important you accurately convey the facts contained in your report. Learn tip and tricks from seasoned detectives and prosecutors to help you assuage any concerns or fears you have. In the course you will learn what juries like, what judges hate, and how you can best prepare for testimony and cross examination.
Part Three – Criminal Court 101: From Arrest to Charging and Sentencing:
You have spent the whole night on an arrest. You have collected evidence and have documented information in your police report and now you submit the case for charges. In this course you will learn what the prosecutor does after reviewing police reports, timelines that are important to charging, and what happens in the courtroom. Why was a plea deal offered? What does the plea deal actually mean? Why did my case get dismissed? This course will offer a rare view on what happens behind the scenes. This course has been a favorite and taught regularly for patrol officers.
Participants will identify tips and strategies used to compile information into a police report.
- Participants will review examples of police reports to identify mistakes.
- Participants will learn how to avoid mistakes when documenting information.
- Participants will learn tips on how to testify in court.
- Participants will learn how to refresh recollection with and without a police report.
- Participants will learn special considerations for testifying at a jury trial.
- Participants will examine best practices for judges and juries.
- Participants will learn all stages in criminal court.
- Participants will understand all types of criminal dispositions (i.e. stay of
- adjudication, stay of imposition, stay of execution, etc.).
- Participants will examine the MN Sentencing Guideline Grid.
- Participants will identify what a plea negotiation is and why they are offered.
- Full refund available up until 14 days prior to date.
- 50% refund available up until 7 days prior to date.
- No refunds will be made within 7 days of the date.
Joe Van Thomme
LAW ENFORCEMENT TRAINING ACADEMY & CONSULTING
This course is offered and conducted by Eckberg Lammers’ Law Enforcement Training Academy & Consulting team of experienced trainers and consultants. Information provided in these trainings does not constitute or contain legal advice, nor do they establish and attorney-client relationship.