POST APPROVED 40 Hour FTO Certification Course
This 40-hour course is specifically designed for experienced personnel selected to serve as FTO for probationary Police officers.
This course encompasses a full spectrum approach and understanding of one of the most in-depth field teaching platforms, providing FTOs with a higher level of education, training, and experience. Officers who successfully complete this course will possess the knowledge, adaptability and confidence to prepare their probationer for a successful completion of the Field Training Program.
The course curriculum focuses on the successful completion and proper documentation through paneled teaching and discussion and hands-on application with individual/student exercises. Students will be exposed to daily DOR assessment activities, reviewing BWC footage, and participating in scenario-based training with an actual, one-on-one debriefing with experienced Field Training Officer Supervisor(s), Law Enforcement officers and role players.
The first three days will be in-classroom lectures, activities, and coursework with a distinguished panel of subject matter experts. Days four and five will consist of the Groebner Phase, honorably named after the late Officer Eric Groebner, APD. This phase consists of out-of-classroom, practical exercises, completing DORs, documentation, and debriefing practice in our FTO course- an idea that originated from Officer Groebner.
This course represents one of the most researched, comprehensive, and advanced full-spectrum FTO curricula, preparing your agency's next generation of Field Training Officers.
Core Concepts in LETAC’s Field Teaching Officer’s Course:
- Understanding the Field Training Program (FTP)
- FTP Best Practices & Lessons Learned - A Police Chief’s Perspective
- Ethical & Legal considerations in Field Training Program
- FTP & FTO Civil Liabilities – Training & Policies (Canton / Monell Threshold)
- Understanding the philosophy of “Teaching vs Training”
- Adaptive Teaching Techniques for the adult learner
- Understanding All Field Training Program Forms
- Simplifying DOR Evaluation Guidelines
- Understanding the Importance & best practices for Proper Documentation
- The Proper Use & Designation of “Not Responding to Training” (NRT)
- Developing & Documenting "Remedial Training Action Plans"
- Understanding & Creating - End of Phase Extension / Next Phase Plan(s)
- Identifying Your Agency’s FTO Culture
- FTO Consistency = FTP Success
- Managing Emotions & Conflict
- Understanding & Managing How Stress Impacts a Probationer’s Performance
- Drafting Individual & Agency Procedure’s Manual
- LETAC FTO / Probationer Teaching Model
- The “Groebner” Phase 1 & 2
- Law Enforcement Scenario Role Play & Observational Assessment
- DOR Form & Documentation Practice & FTO Supervisor’s Review
- Train the Trainer - Preparing FTO & Probationer for Court
- FTO Court Room Preparations & Mock Trial
Who Should Attend?
Field Training Officers
- Full refund available, 60+ days prior to the event.
- 50% refund available 59-30 days prior to the event.
- No refunds will be made 29 days prior to the event.
LAW ENFORCEMENT TRAINING ACADEMY & CONSULTING
This course is offered and conducted by Eckberg Lammers’ Law Enforcement Training Academy & Consulting team of experienced trainers and consultants. Information provided in these trainings does not constitute or contain legal advice, nor do they establish and attorney-client relationship.